Thursday, August 25, 2011

there are signs for fog: this means business

Today was the first full day in Hong Kong. It was excellent. I have walked enough roads to earn the fine title of “woman with blistered heel,” which translated into some other language is, well, something else. These road were many with a variety of names, many of which I do not remember. There was a Nathan Rd. and Hollywood Rd. This, yes in fact, does mean I’m a celebrity (as merely joked about yesterday…it does appear I was wrong ;)). And in other news, you’re welcome to the Nathan out there that may be reading this blog and suddenly got a feeling of connection with Asia. They love you here…whether they know it or not. [You’re welcome to Hong Kong for that short bit of tourist recruitment].)
In other news, I am learning the value of humility (which that part about a celebrity above seems to contradict). It seems I am far from educated in the language and in need of much help doing the simplest things, such as ordering a meal. Good news is that I’m eating…something. No, actually, I am fortunate enough to have some fluent Cantonese speakers in my group. But this does draw my attention to the international travelers in the U.S. Being a non-native speaker has definitely made me think about the somewhat common trait of Americans looking down on non-English speakers in the U.S….put yourself in their shoes?
Other exciting events today included a man holding what resembled a McDonald’s type of disposable cup that was covered in Scrabble letters (in English). I can read again! Just kidding, there is quite a bit of English on signs here.  The English is sometimes a little different from what we are used to though. For instance, I got a kick out of something outside of a health clinic today that said, “elderly vaccination subsidy scheme”…so we’re tricking the elderly? Lol. I’m sure this is not at all what it meant. It did make me wonder if maybe the British use the word ‘scheme’ differently than American English. I thought this when I saw a sign about a ‘charity scheme’ and also apartments with the title ‘Scheme.’…or else they are fans of obvious trickery? Lol.
Other flashbacks to home today included hearing Taylor Swift’s “Back to December” while dodging the rain in some art place where there was a Hugo Boss “Different” cologne promotion going on via painting. I did not paint. Other than that, we looked over Hong Kong and rode a trolley up a steep hillside. It was very peaceful and quiet. I did not realize Hong Kong has such terrain. Ahh, but there is much to be learned grasshopper. As for now, I must depart. Enjoy your 9-5 workday, I am heading to bed.
Oh, and last: It gets dark at like 6pm here. You know what that means? No...it means the sun goes down early. Haha, silly rabbit, Trix are for kids (as are tricks?). :)
 Chels

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glade you are there safe.