Thursday, December 15, 2011

One More Day

This morning I jogged to meet up for breakfast with a German, a Czech, a Taiwanese person and 3 delightful Americans at a local restaurant. 3 continents together for breakfast. Nice.

My off day meant doing a lot of errands like buying last minute things, getting my ferry ticket, printing off maps, etc. In the mix of the day, I also had a delightful 'Christmas lunch' as I'll call it with my fellow MPI ETAs and our Malaysian friend Alvin. It was at a fancy little cafe in Macau Tower called Singing Bean Coffee. Lauren and I had read about the set lunches last time we were at Macau Tower and were looking for a reason to splurge. This was kind of like a going away departure lunch. I had a nice salad with crispy tuna and green beans to start. I thought it was unique to find green beans in a traditional looking salad. There were these cute, tiny hard boiled eggs in the salad as well. I'm not sure what type of bird they came from. The main dish was beef braised in a red wine sauce with something on top of it resembling potatoes. Here's the dish:
For dessert I had a fancy brownie thing with hot tea. It was not super sweet, but was okay. Overall, I think we were under impressed for the amount of money we spent for the small plates of food we got. It wasn't bad but it wasn't spectacular. I have this theory that anytime they put a plate under the plate the food is on, you can assume it's because they acknowledge the small amount of food they are giving you and hope with the extra plate to make it look bigger.

When I was walking our Czech couchsurfer back to the apartment to get her things, we were stopped by a group of school children doing a scavenger hunt survey with english speaking tourists. They asked us in very clear english if we had a moment, to which I said yes. Then they asked me if I drank milk everyday. Haha. That's not the question I was expecting, but I told them yes. They asked Linda something as well, and we both wrote our first names saying that we did. Here is the group of cute 4th graders. They also gave us cute handmade Christmas cards.
This is on the antiques street on the way to St. Paul's Ruins/ Senado Square.

This evening we went exploring and got dessert at a milk pudding place. I had what they call a coconut shake, but is actually milk mixed with some coconut milk. Ray let me try his hot milk pudding with red beans...not my thing. Beans for dessert is still a challenge for my sweet tooth to grasp.

This is likely to be the last blog for 2 weeks. We'll see if there are blogworthy things tomorrow. 

No comments: