Sunday, May 13, 2012

D'Zhu[say]hai to your momma?

Today I chose to listen to good ole Kyle Idleman before heading out the door toward Zhuhai. My China visa days are coming to a close, and I've decided to access the mainland as many times as possible in the upcoming short period. Mostly, I walked around --'urban hiking' as it is called. Even though Zhuhai is a walk away, the culture and set up of the city is very different from Macau. Here are some pictures:
I went to Zhuhai to climb that hill in the background...I could not find a place to access it legally except perhaps this park, but it began to rain when I arrived.

The Chinese love dragons! A man was rubbing this dragon's mouth before I took this picture. The wear implied he wasn't the first one to do this. I think it's for good luck.

Part of me acknowledges that after this week I may not be in mainland China ever again, or at least for a while, and that part was in charge of ordering food today...and that part wanted to try 3 new things, though it was enough to feed multiple people. (No worries, I brought leftovers back). Seen here: some sorry red bean paste buns (there was hardly any paste) and braised frog. I got the braised frog because of the novelty, but it ended up having wings in it and larger bones. The lady who took my order was clearly not used to having foreigners order, or perhaps she's had a difficult experience, because she was acting things out and trying to explain things in non-existent English. I was just going to point like I normally do, but I got sound effects and everything. I guess I can write the extra 15RMB the meal cost because the menu was marked incorrectly as an entertainment fee.

 This was the sauteed egg with pear...except there was no pear. That was also the reason I ordered this dish. Never trust English translated menus...
 This was a snack I also got for a novelty today. I actually helped make something similar to this 2 years ago in Beijing. It's a banana leaf (I believe) wrapped around sticky rice and then an assortment of other things inside. The insides depends on which one you get. Since I don't really speak the language worth speaking of (haha), I just picked one and got the one with rice that tasted more like corn (I've only had white sticky rice in one of these before) and there was no sweet inside I was hoping for, just rice.
I walked a lot today and mostly dodged the down pour. The day ended with seeing the faces of 2 lovely parents. Happy Mother's Day from around the world!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

maybe they were lighting their cigars in the dragons mouth...btw, do dragons smoke????? dll