Today, Lauren, Ray and I embarked across that fabulous border for a few hours to talk to high school students about college admissions and university life in the U.S. These students were clearly from wealthy families and the school facilities were impressive. These kids are aiming for Berkley, Harvard, etc. My favorite and most unexpected question they asked me was, "how do I stay safe in America?" Apparently the word about the school shootings and violence has gotten around the world and people have made generalizations and assumptions like many Americans do about Chinese and lead filled toys. One kid said (jokingly), "If I wear a shirt that says, 'I'm innocent, don't shoot me,' will that protect me?" I responded (jokingly), "No, that will get you shot."
I forgot about Bible study tonight and ended up working at the office this evening on my lesson for tomorrow. Not much else eventful happened today that I can recall...lunch was good and in Zhuhai.Ray treated. Lauren introduced me to passion fruit tea at ComeBuy--one of the many chain tea stands they have here. I've recently been on a kick of having what I call 'clumpies' in my drink. This is anything from coconut flesh to aloe vera to tapioca balls. All of these things are common to Asians and have always been a little strange to me, but recently I've been craving them. It's kind of like cereal and milk, only not at all. haha.
No comments:
Post a Comment