Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Don't go draggin' the dragon!

Today I was reminded once again just how blessed I am. We have two friends of Lauren's staying here this week for their vacation, and as is typical with vacations, they are not on the same schedule we workers. This can mean staying awake later and waking up earlier than desired. It isn't a huge deal, but it came up in conversation today, and we were talking about how normal it is for so many roommates. I'm nicely situated against the outside wall that borders Ray's apartment and cushioned by the living room from the other girls' rooms. Lauren and Athena are pretty courteous of our sleeping schedules, and when I can hear Ray's music through the wall, I just mention it on Skype and he's kind enough to turn it down. We work together well, and it's something I have taken for granted because I've had it my whole life. My family was very courteous of each other's schedules as well. It's the little things that end up being so big.

I started off the day teaching my 5th grade classes and finishing up their oral tests. During the test, they watched Magic School Bus and filled out a worksheet I made to go with it. I was so happy to find Magic School Bus videos here in Macau--I still remember watching those when I was in elementary school. Ms. Frizzle=fantastic.

Athena was off to Hong Kong today for a presentation, but the other 3 of us had English Lunch in the canteen. I have a reputation from the lunch ladies of the girl that always gets just a bowl of white rice. This is weird to them; people don't just eat plain rice. I reason that it's a lot of food, it tastes good to me, and it's an entire 3MOP. That's less than $.50! So I generally bring something else small to eat with it, but it makes for a nice treat, and it keeps me away from asking what's in the mystery slop (which today didn't look so bad).

I also taught my 1st grade class this afternoon. There is a little boy in this class who without fail every week either comes in saying, "Hello, Ms. Hall! I love you!" or leaves saying, "Goodbye, Ms. Hall! I love you!" I'm not ever sure how to respond to it, and most times I don't if I can play off that I didn't notice it. Today, when I took them to the gym to meet their parents and domestic helpers, he was jumping up and down right in front of me saying it and blowing me kisses. I just nodded and said something like, 'okay, thank you.' Every little boy has a crush on one of his teachers at some point, I think. I'm pretty sure my brother liked his kindergarten teacher, but I might have made that up.

Chinese New Year is coming up in less than 2 weeks. This is the biggest holiday in the region. I read an article in the China Daily about how regifting is the norm in China. It's considered completely acceptable, considerate, and smart. Compare that to the cultural thought process in America that regifting is somewhat taboo. They see it as taking a gift to yourself and realizing it would be better for someone else than for you. I suppose in that light, it does seem less selfish than how it's often spun in America.

Another article surrounding the new year was about a controversial postage stamp in Beijing. According to the Chinese Lunar calendar, which rotates every year between 12 animals, this year is the Year of the Dragon. Unlike the western view of the dragon, the Chinese view the dragon as a protector from evil not a source of destruction. They even considered calling it a different name once because of the negative implications of the western 'dragon'. The controversy of the postage stamp with the dragon symbolizing the new year was about the dragon looking too fearsome. The artist (who also designed the graphics for the Beijing Olympic Games) defended his work, saying that it is a gentle protector, but it must be tough enough to protect, etc. etc. Interesting, I thought.

The picture of the day today is from Guangzhou, taken a bit ago:
There are lots of little vendors in the streets in Guangzhou. Every once in a while, the police come through and tell them to move, but they go right back to it shortly after the police leave. Think of it like a miniature movable flea market on the ground. Generally it seems to be mostly ladies that lay out blankets on the sidewalk with jewelry and knick knacks. The blankets are so that the items can be easily and quickly wadded and scooped up when the cops demand. Seen here is a cart with Fresh Sugar Cane Juice. It seems really popular in this southern area of China, and I have not tried it yet. Although I'm not sure it is particularly healthy or enjoyable, trying it is on my to do list. It looks like they're charging 5RMB for a bottle of it here--that's less than a dollar.

And to start/end your day on a good note, here is the quote from Pacific Coffee Company today:
"A man's doubts and fears are his worst enemies" --William Wrigley Jr.

No comments: