Saturday, January 14, 2012

What happens in Macau...

...apparently doesn't stay there because I'm about to tell you about it.

This morning I went to the orphanage to help Annie and Lily with their English. They had plenty of energy, and eventually we got to some funny conversations. These two girls are 19 and 14, and so they are thinking about what most teen girls seem to think about--appearance. Today's conversation included,  "Do you think Chinese people are small? You are so tall, it makes your head look small. American girls have very small eyebrows. Why do foreigners have double eyelids?" haha. I should have never told them that I wasn't easily offended. Actually, I wasn't offended, we girls had fun chatting honest girl talk (and them still learning English through it) today.

On my way home, I passed through Senado Square to see quite the interesting displays. Chinese New Year is coming up soon, and because of that the Senado Square area is decorated in bright lights and etc. etc. as seen here:
These decorations are expected and even normal, but the other things I stumbled across were funny and made me wonder if this was something the government funded... Also seen in Senado today: 3 clowns walking around, a girl doing some punch routine to the sound of 2 boys in colorful outfits hitting drums, and finally (most interesting) 2 young women in fancy traditional dresses kneeling on the ground yelling something in Chinese while pretending to smash their iPhones that were on the ground with high heel in hand. Needless to say, there was a circle that formed around them. I didn't get a picture of the action, but here's them in their dresses walking away (they were laughing). After that, they proceeded to take pictures with tourists as if nothing had happened.

I made dinner again at home tonight. The girls have started joking and calling me the hermit. I suppose in some ways I have been inside a lot--a combination of saving up for/planning for this trip coming up, applying for jobs (6 months early, I know...), and consistently rainy weather all week have kept me indoors. But adventure is to come super soon--hopefully a safe one!

G'night y'all

No comments: