Saturday, November 12, 2011

breaking in the weekend

This morning I ventured to the orphanage to try my first longer day teaching a variety of age groups. When I arrived, Annie was not there--she had a project she'd forgotten to tell me about. This was not an issue though, as Jeanne (a minister I met today) was there to whisk in 4 boys for me to teach. Today I worked with John, Wilson, Ken, and a boy without an English name. Three of the boys were in high school and one was in middle school. We worked on pronunciation and basic sentence structure just to get a feel for their English level. Then--lunch time! They were very impressed that I could use chop sticks. I always find this entertaining that Asians are surprised at my ability to use chop sticks. I'm no expert by any means, but I do suppose it's a challenge for many people to get used to using them at first. For lunch we had greens, broccoli, fish (head and all), and pork slivers (I have no idea what part of the pig was slivered, but I've learned you don't ask).

After lunch, Jeanne showed me around the new building the orphanage is moving to next weekend. The new building is funded by the government, and the old building is being torn down. They will house 12 boys and 12 girls all about 10-18 years old whose parents are either unable to care for them, have abandoned them, are mentally ill, abusive, or possibly dead. Most of the kids' parents seem to still be living. The new facilities are much larger and very nice.

Post orphanage, I decided to walk along the northern part of Macau and venture on more unventured area. I ran across a pet fair of sorts, proving that Macau is a different culture than much of China. Although they still eat dog here, no doubt, dogs are common pets--a result of the prosperity here. Check out these photos:


This guy has a whole Adidas outfit!

Here was the stage--if you know Chinese or Portuguese, you can translate the exact title of this event.

I found a bakery that sold a blueberry muffin today--I was like a little kid! I bought my little 50 cent muffin, which ended up being more like a cake than a muffin, but was good nonetheless.

Angie and I had chicken curry hot pot and bbqed veggies for dinner tonight. On the way home from dinner, we ran across some sort of music/dance festival of sorts in the street. Here are some Asian break dancers we came across:

I was going to get on stage and show off my mad dance skills, but it's a good thing Angie was there to hold me back. ;)

No comments: