Monday, November 14, 2011

run, run rudolph

Today was a slow day at the office. My 1st and 2nd grade classes are cancelled this week because of Sports Day events or something. I did a lot of lesson planning and was mostly alone in the office. Lauren got back from China this afternoon and Athena spent her day in lieu in HK. Ray came up to me around 2:30 begging for an excuse to eat a second lunch, so we went to a quick little place close to work. I had beef curry with rice...it was very mediocre, but the company was good. He later got a third lunch with Lauren...yet he's in better shape than us. They brought Ray chopsticks and me a fork. It bugs me when they do this--I'm sure it's because most Americans/western tourists ask for a fork, so they're just trying to be nice, but I don't like that they stereotype for one. Also, I really like using chopsticks, and find it easier to eat white rice in the mound they serve it in when I have chopsticks.

Tonight's debate was "This House believes pandas should be sacrificed." This is based on the idea that it costs too much to try to preserve this endangered species, so we should put those funds toward something else. It was an interesting debate with decent arguments from both sides.

Because of my classes being cancelled, I have picked up extra one-on-one tutoring type of work with the college students and tomorrow am also attending a college preparation event for students who want to attend universities in the U.S. We'll be hosting mock interview and Q&A sessions put on by a group called EducationUSA. We shall see how this goes.

Picture of the day:  
This is the Macau Canidrome Co. (greyhound racing track) that I pass every week on the way to the orphanage. I have not been in, though I would be interested to see what goes on in one of these. I wrote a paper about greyhound racing, and the retirement and poor treatment of dogs when I was in 6th grade (clearly, that was a while ago). I'd be interested to see what the conditions are like now and in this part of the world.

No comments: