Today, Angie and I caught the bus to church together, and I started my day in a super fantastic mood. Angie, in fact, asked me if I was just super happy to see her or if something great had happened. On the contrary, this morning I woke up a half hour late to take a cold shower with a broken shower head that wouldn't shoot the water right and with gnats/fruit flies in the shower followed by a not so positive message on my computer...but maybe that's what put me in such a good mood. Comparatively, being on the bus and on the way to Sunday morning worship was quite spectacular!
After church, Angie, Chris (another professor at UMac) and I went to lunch at the same fabulous and cheap vegetarian restaurant I've eaten at 3 times in a week. We shared a larger table with some Chinese tourists we did not know. Interestingly, I learned something new today even though I have been to this same restaurant so many times. When you sit down at the table, the waitress brings you a pot of tea and a plastic bowl of sorts. I always had concluded that the plastic bowl was just so they didn't drip water on the floor when they were bringing you the tea, but in fact it's to wash your dishes--that's right folks, washing your dishes in tea. I think the dishes are pretty clean, it's just an extra thing they let you do to make you feel safer about the dishes. This makes sense considering that the dishes at some restaurants in China you would want to re-clean. I'm sure the restaurant does this for the large number of Chinese tourists that visit--this may be a norm for them.
After a cheap lunch, I took them to the La Kei Ice Cream place that we recently discovered because they were both on a sweet kick. I got a pineapple milkshake, which ended up being more like pineapple milk than a shake. It was good, but not at all ice cream-y. I guess this is similar to their different take on the ice cream sandwich I posted pictures of on Wednesday.
I had decided yesterday that I was going to make the effort to exercise and go to Guia Hill today, which I did. The access to the lighthouse was open because it was earlier in the day this time, and I also got to go into an old chapel next to the lighthouse. Picture taking was forbidden inside of the chapel, but there were fresco paintings on the walls and ceilings in some places that had been uncovered from excavation. It was pretty neat to think this church was around 300 years old and the stories it told. The frescoes combined both religious and mythical creatures according to the plaque I read though some of them were so faint it was hard to tell. Guia Hill is the tallest point in Macau, so I was able to look out over much of the city. Macau is such a multicolored city. Between the many shades of tin roofs on the shorter apartment homes, the flashy casinos of all shapes and sizes, purple apartment buildings, yellow Portuguese style buildings, etc., it was like looking out over a rainbow.
The rest of the evening consisted of studying for the GMAT and relaxing. Here's dinner:
These are the 'chips' I ate with the salsa. I bought them a few weeks ago at a business/trade fair of sorts. They are from Taiwan, and were quite tasty, though sweeter and thicker consistency than actual tortilla chips. I feel blessed just to have access to salsa or any type of chips though. Chris and I were talking about when he taught in Western China and about how there's no getting some things there...so searching harder and paying more for certain things here is a luxury. Mmmm fake Mexican :)
I hope you all enjoyed your extra hour of sleep for Daylight Savings Time. I am now 13 hours ahead of you, as the U.S. is the only country that observes Daylight Savings.
No comments:
Post a Comment