Friday, November 18, 2011

snail mail, roach kill, and bug juice

Today was not too long nor too eventful. Fridays are my late days, so I went to work around noon. Speaking and Debate class followed soon after and took up most of my work hours today. The debate today was 'This House would ban all motor sports." This is extremely relevant because the Grand Prix is currently taking place in the lovely city, causing traffic issues, rerouting people, filling the city even more with tourists, and majorly increasing noise pollution. I was amazed to hear how loud the cars were. Fortunately, we live a good ways from campus so the noise has not affected our sleeping habits as it has many of our students.

Mail time! Here are 2 lovely cards I received today. One wishing me well for the Thanksgiving holiday. I've decided that since I did not attend the international food festival tonight that maybe I might do it next Thursday as my own sort of fancy Thanksgiving food experience. We'll see.

Haha. I bet you're all thinking, 'what a great adventure she's having over there!' right now. :) It's actually a pretty small roach, so I'm not concerned. I'm thankful we've only found 3 roaches in our apartment in 3 months here (and 3 small ones at that). In Macau, I will take that any day. I found this little guy on a roll of paper towels from Lauren's room--she'd seem him in her room a couple of days ago, so I'm glad we found him in her room and not mine. The funny story (and why I posted this) is that when we went to kill him Lauren had her hairbrush and she hit the roll of paper towels toward me, making the roll hit me, and sending the bug toward me. WHAT!? I'm not sure why she did it, but the flight and landing somehow smashed the roach, and we found him across the room. Thankfully, he did not hit me on his way there...so she told me to take a picture and post it.

...and you limited Sunkist's soda making ability in your mind to orange... These were delicious. Interestingly grapefruit flavored things are very popular here, though sweeter than grapefruit itself of course. All sodas here are made with sugar (as opposed to corn syrup in the U.S.), so you don't have to buy the special 'natural' or 'throwback' version to get the sugar sugar.

Tomorrow we depart early to go on an HK adventure. No internet may very well be the break I need.
Y'all in-joy yer weekins!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's my little sugar....dll

vickibhelms said...

I hope that you have a Happy Thanksgiving and that you know that you don't have to be physically present to be present in the heart! Love, Vicki