Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pick, pick, picky

I swing back and forth in my mind about whether or not I ever will get married. I suppose there are pros and cons to both choices. Today, I have officially made up my mind that I need to get married. Why, you ask, have I made up my mind today? I want to get married so that when middle aged Nepali men ask me where my husband  is, I can say, 'at the gym lifting weights,' or 'at rifle practice.' haha. Tonight, I did not have this option when I made an unwelcomed friend at the fruit stand on my way home. At first, I thought he wanted to talk about America, but I quickly discovered he was a pathetic middle aged man trying to hit on me. Fortunately (thank you, God), he was not a threat and I have experience (from working downtown back home) on how to dodge weird men and keep them from finding out where I'm going. In other words, I took the long, indirect way home--he didn't follow me anyway. The funny part was when he asked me, 'is your husband here,' inquiring if he lived in Macau as well, I said, "he's as good as here." I figure since he's nonexistent, my husband is as close to me here as not. :)

Now that the exciting drama is out of the way, the rest of the day consisted of grading papers, meeting about next semester's classes, and preparing lessons and powerpoints for future classes. Tomorrow (Wednesday) is a national holiday. Is that the angel chorus?? We are off in commemoration of All Souls Day--a Catholic holiday--which shows you how much influence the Portuguese and Catholic roots still have here since they are still giving days off.

I decided to switch things up today and grade papers in the sunshine :). I felt back to normal again today as well (as in the sickness was gone).

In Cantonese class tonight, we learned how to say words associated with shopping and groceries. The most interesting was 'pork meat.' The romanization (or how you would spell it so you could pronounce it even though the Chinese use characters) is jhu-yuhk. The closest words it sounds to in English is 'jew yuck.' Coincidence???  I found this very entertaining. Lauren also decided to start calling me this as a nickname. At least we have fun here, whether we act our age or not.

Lauren was nice enough to buy all the girls flowers for our rooms and the living room today at a local market. She got 5 big yellow flowers for 10MOP in a nearby market. That means it was about $1.25 for all of them. If only valentines day were that affordable, huh? They add a nice flare to the room. I have them in a wine bottle my good friend Lauren also let me have for a vase. I think the blue and yellow go well together. :)


On that note, I think the rest of the day was slim 'pickins' to talk about. ;) Enjoy your day!

No comments: