...and then my 3 day weekend started :)
Cantonese class was interesting again tonight. I asked our teacher Cabel if there is a word that rhymes with the word for 'orange' in Cantonese, and good news Vicki, there is! The word she told me is the word for 'treat.' How appropriate! She then proceeded to tell us about some tongue twister that had to do with buying chicken...I got lost, but she's such a cute and fun little lady it's just fun to watch her get excited telling stories.
The interesting fact worth sharing from class tonight has to do with telling time. Locals here would tell time by saying the number on the clock that shows up. For example, 2:10 would be read as "2 time 2" because the minute hand is on the 2 on the clock. For 2:08 they would even just round up to the nearest number that shows up on the clock face (so it would be 2:10 also). There is a way to say the time exactly, but most people apparently don't use that. The literal translation would require you to say the hour, the word for 'time', the minute, and then the word for 'minute' at the end. She said make sure you don't forget to say the word for 'minute' or someone will think two ten is 2:10 and someone will think it's 2:50, and you'll be waiting forever.
Dinner tonight was a can of baked beans and 2 bananas--it was so fabulous to have baked beans again! (This is the luxurious life, you know).
Picture of the day:
This is a Portuguese building that I pass on the way to work. I think it's a school. A lot of these building facades have been redone so many times I'm not sure it's classified as historic anymore. Everything needs to be pretty for the tourists! It is neat though to have the pretty bright colored buildings....for whatever reason they're there.
This is a small library also on my commute in. There are several branches of the library, though I have been unable to locate any others (mostly because I haven't tried). They are supposed to have an English section, though I don't think this location does. There are a surprising number of bookstores here with decent English sections--mostly fiction books. I have run across Mitch Albom, Nicholas Sparks, Twilight...none of which have I bought.
Go have a fantastic day! I did.
No comments:
Post a Comment