Sunday, October 30, 2011

do/re/mi/fa/so/la/ti

Today I hung out with sprite and saltines. I've decided I want to be friends with them less often. If you're confused at this point, Sprite and saltines are what we eat at my house when we are ill.

I mustered up the energy to go to church, mostly because I'd told Angie and my pastor I'd be there and because I missed last week due to work. Church was good--it was about how pride destroys us and our need for God. Blessed are the humble in spirit--those that can say, 'hey, I can't do this by myself; I need you God, and I need the people you've put in my life to help me on this journey.'

I've made a great friend in Angie--she prayed for me to feel better after church and then rode the same bus as me back to make sure I was okay.

Once I arrived at home, I laid down and drifted in and out of sleep. So, no profound stories today unless they were ones that happened in my dreams. I'm really pulling to be at 100% tomorrow, if not in the next few hours. As they say on the Lion King, 'hakuna matata,' it means no worries. I will be better soon.

Picture of the day:
This is Saint Honore Cake Shop, though not a cake shop as you might imagine. In fact, it's more like a bakery you might find in the U.S. Inside this store, you can find croissants, small loaves of bread (no big ones because bread molds quickly with the humidity here), and a variety of bread things that may have meat in them or slightly sweet tops. The difference with a lot of things that you find in the bakeries here is that things are not nearly so sweet. You wont find muffins or cinnamon rolls, but if you find something similar, like a rocky bun with a cooked sugary top, you might be disappointed. In my experience, Asians as a whole eat less sweet sweets than Americans. This is probably wise and healthy. One interesting thing that is quite common for the center of sweet treats here is red bean. It takes getting used to having a slightly sweetened bean as a treat, at least it did for me.

The blog is dough-ver!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon Chels. Annie

vickibhelms said...

I hope that you feel better today! I hate it when you are sick.....especially when you are 8K miles away!! Take care of yourself and get those antibodies working!! Love you, Vicki

Chels said...

Thanks guys--stomach is about 85% better. Nothing to worry about. :)