Monday, October 17, 2011

no sham, just wow

Today's events: walking to the office with Lauren. The more I hang out with that girl, the more I like her.We're both weirdly goofy, and somehow getting her a croissant and coffee on the way to work turns to an enjoyable morning full of laughs and interesting conversation. If you remember, she's the ETA of the 4 of us that has her masters, so she has more education, travel, and life under her plate than the rest of us. It's always great to pick her brain.

Work this morning included last minute lesson prep for my 1st graders today. My WAMZ at work stopped working. Somehow the iHeartRadio website that worked last week has stopped working this week, saying that it only works in the U.S. I'm not sure how it works and then doesn't, but I ended up listening to a Canadian country station, which was actually an interesting commentary to compare to America. Here's my favorite song discovery of the day, and what I recommend you listen to next time you're having the least bit of a down/undetermined day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF43K4OQoEQ.

My 1st grade class went fine with the exception that I asked the Chinese language teacher to explain something to the students in Cantonese, and instead she did what I could have done in English. Her personality is very rigid and strict, and that combined with her doing what I could have really undermined my authority in front of the students and made me feel like she looked down at me. Not that I've ever had pride...  I will admit though that teaching is hard work that requires a lot of creativity, especially across cultural boundaries. I respect teachers of all levels more now that I've spent 2 months in their shoes.

In debate society, they debated "This House believes that there should be renewable fixed-marriage contracts." The opening government side of the debate defined the argument as 2 year contracts...in Mexico. The conversation got quite comical, but it was a good debate overall.

Dinner tonight was our favorite new Beijing style restaurant. It's so cute when the 4 of us split a meal and everyone enjoys it. I like our little sassy family. It's been a while since all 4 of us had dinner. Tonight (I forgot to take a picture! oops) we had the delicious eggplant dish again, dumplings, potatoes (kind of like boiled potato straw slivers), and a cold spicy slimy noodle dish...and white rice of course. It was good, and I was stuffed silly for 33MOP (that is, about $4) :)

Overall, a very quick not shabby kind of day.

No comments: