Life is not so much what happens, but what you do with what happens.
This morning I had to prepare for my 2nd grade class that was this afternoon. It's always interesting planning on the day of class because there's a lot more pressure to get it finished. I was successful in finding a playground activity where they drew and talked about what the kids in the playground were doing. My kids were very well behaved today, even to the point that I had a wow moment just thanking God that I felt the class was productive, fun, and organized all at once. They had a sub Chinese helper, so I feel the odds were not in my favor, but I needed it. Happy, learning minds are a fantastic reward for a teacher.
On the way home today, I saw an elderly blind man and someone guiding him. It became apparent they ran into someone he knew. It was interesting to watch the other man reach out and take the blind man's hand so he could tell who it was. It got me thinking about how blind we are to the future and how much we need God's guidance and others reaching out in their wisdom/experience to help us understand where we're headed. Listen.
Angie and I did dinner at a local won ton noodle place tonight. I had the fantastic experience of grape Fanta from a glass bottle. Sheesh, glass bottles get me every time! Then we walked around to several boutiques looking for a top for her gala. The style here is very different. For example, we discovered a jean jacket with lace sleeves. I will politely say that it's not my fashion of choice... There were some pretty hilarious English phrases on shirts like, "Do not take pictures with inanimate objects," and "I think you are awesome. People have too much time to think when they should be using more of their magic muscles..." Haha. What? There was also a Mickey Mouse skull looking shirt. I just don't know. It provided laughter when it was needed, so thank you Macau for your interesting fashions.
For dessert, Angie and I tried this Mango beverage from a tea stand. It was some special, so it was one of those 'what's the worst that could happen' type of deals. No, actually it looked good, though I didn't know if it was juice or kool-aid or blended cow tongue. It ended up being juice-ish with gelatin in it. It tasted like canned peaches coming up my extra fat straw at first, and then became quickly like flavorless jello at the bottom of my glass. Interesting.
We laughed, we sang praise songs, I danced on the sidewalk, she called me ridiculous...it was all pretty typical Chels and Angie. Good God and girls time. No success on finding the shirt for the gala though. The stores here are pretty tiny in comparison to those in the U.S. This means small selection and it also means that they have very few sizes (if multiples at all) of their clothing. We did find matching simple gray long sleeve shirts for 15MOP ($2 US). Aren't we precious.
The picture of the day today is of one of the many common "bakeries" in Macau. This kind is not what you're thinking of when you hear bakery--though something similar to what you're thinking of does exist here. These bakeries have egg tarts, peanut candy, almond cookies and a dried meat slab thing that Macau is famous for. It's most similar to a giant piece of jerky, though different. The retail workers will stand out in the middle of the street and hand out samples all day. It's quite nice if you need a snack on a busy street.
See the sample lady and the stacks of meat behind her? Those are the boxes of almond cookies against the wall, I believe.
Ciao!
No comments:
Post a Comment