Friday, October 7, 2011

pausing to take it all in

Wow. I just got home from a place called MacauSoul. It's a little place ran by 2 British retirees that has live music on Friday nights. Tonight, the live music was swing. When we arrived, we were a little bummed to find out that you had to have reservations to see the live band. In the end, we were glad because we could hear the band fine from the upstairs, more roomy and casual area. We ordered a fancy assortment of cheese, hummus, and baba ganoush with a mixture of toasted/ soft/ fruity breads. Oh. My. Goodness. I will describe it best as 'cheese pleasure.' Seriously--I don't generally just pause, close my eyes, and celebrate when I'm eating, but it has happened. I am in love...this was like a long lost love returning. Here's the thing--I love cheese, first off. Second, a lot of Asians are lactose intolerant, so cheese is not nearly as widely available in Asia. Because of the Portuguese influence, there is still cheese here, but it's a find outside of the McDouble, and most of what you do find is processed salty flavoring. Up until tonight I hadn't had real legitimate cheese for about 6 weeks. And this was VERY good cheese by the standards of everyday cheese eaters. It was one of those they charge you a lot for a tiny portion types of cheeses. Mmmmm...but so worth it.

That was the most exciting part of my day. I didn't work very many hours, and was pretty pathetically tired all day. I taught 2nd grade for the first time as a split class today, and it was more manageable, though still difficult. I think I have them right after gym or recess because they are in their play clothes instead of their uniforms. Needless to say, they have a lot of energy.

Here's your picture of the day. This is the public exercise equipment seen commonly at parks throughout Macau. I need to get on top of using this--especially with all the hummus, cheese, bread, and baba ganoush I ate tonight! (but it was so worth it :))

No comments: