They day started a little later than planned because I decided to spend a little more time on the phone with my family than I originally intended. This apparently was all part of The Plan. As I was looking for my keys to leave the apartment, I got a call from Athena's friend telling me she had been stopped by the police. Turns out they thought she was an illegal immigrant from China and she didn't have her passport on her to disprove it. It sounds intense, and while its not to be taken lightly, it's standard procedure apparently. Fortunately, I was still at the apartment rather than far away at work, and was able to locate and bring it to her at the police station.
The rest of the day was less eventful. I lesson planned, created questions for the final round of the speech contest, and went to English salon. They had Pizza Hut at English Salon, and either that or the coffee I drank before Cantonese class currently has my body screaming, "fool." Perhaps Pizza Hut 2 nights in a row is a crime against the body. I think they use cheap grease here, so probably so. There's this thing in China (and perhaps other places too) where a place will use grease to cook and then another restaurant will buy the used grease called gutter oil and use it again. This cuts costs...and eventually population! I've heard mcdonalds uses gutter oil, so maybe pizza hut does too.
Tomorrow I give my first test to my 5th graders. It's both written and oral. The challenge is that I have 40 minutes to pull 35 or so students out and orally test them. This means by the time I explain everything I have less than 1 minute per student. This will be interesting.
So with the gutter oil inside me and test dispersing in the early a.m., I am ending this blog a little early and pictureless. And no worries, I'm not legitimately sick, just bleh.
Go hug someone.
Chez
1 comment:
i believe they use the same type of oil here as well, bleh! dll
Post a Comment