Monday, October 3, 2011

I'm singing in the rain

Public holiday. No work. Internet FINALLY in our apartment. These are all things that contribute to a fabulous day. All these things were ingredients in today :)

Here are many pictures (now that I can upload them without a problem) to tell the story of Monday adventures.

First, I ventured out to the ruins of St. Paul. St. Paul's Cathedral is a church that burned down during a typhoon in 1835. It was the largest cathedral in Asia at one point, and now only the front part of stone stands. People come to visit the ruins from all over the world. This picture was taken from the stairs that have built to climb up behind the facade. As you can see, coins are thrown at the ruins for good luck.
Mount Fortress: the fort that historically defended Macau from invasion.

There were plenty of cannons like this one surrounding the fort.

Shooting the Grand Lisboa Casino? What a contrast between the historical and the modern

These long bristled brooms and traditional hats are used every morning to sweep the streets even to this day. They are very concerned about getting darker skin (it's seen as a negative thing) so they wear the big hats to keep the sun off.

Rabbit Lanterns outside of an art exhibit I stumbled upon

My favorite rabbit in the exhibit

St. Lawrence Catholic Church. Cool side note: there is a church near my apartment (I don't know which one) that chimes on the hour and every 15 minutes. It's the same chime that is on my mammaw's clock back home. I love love love the sound of it.


 Cemetery of St. Michael's Catholic Church...I was pretty much just roaming and found all these things. It's the best way to discover, I've found.
I also went to the Fire Department Museum. Seen here: an old fire truck...see Macau is more like America than you thought.

This is the Red Market where you can go to buy vegetables, seafood and meat. I looked a little weird taking a picture here. It's not a grocery store, but more like a local market where people rent out stands to sell their things from. You can also buy vegetables and meat at markets on the street or at grocery chains.

The meat is cut right in front of you so that you know it's super fresh. Hope you have a strong stomach. In the seafood section, the prawns and fish were still jumping even laid flat in pans.

This is what the Red Market looks like from the outside.

Today we had another Typhoon 3 warning and baby rainstorm. It's officially the rainy season. Hope you enjoyed the pictures--I know that I sure enjoyed walking around and taking them :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you the church lady from saturday night live? dll(daddylonglegs)