Sunday, November 13, 2011

The meeks, the makes, and the mistakes

Today Ray, Angie, and I rode the bus to church together. Sometimes the bus drivers here likes to give you a sort of standing workout on the bus by braking and taking turns ridiculously quickly. It was actually quite comical, but we arrived safe.

Pastor Steve had asked me to share a little bit about my story today, so I whipped up some pictures of where I came from and how I got to Macau. If your taking the time to read this, there's a good chance your face was in one of those pictures. I had a picture of most of my church family up there, so that's a big group of people. The message today was on meekness, as we continue our study of the Beatitudes (Matthew 5). These were my favorite parts from the sermon today:
1. A stallion that has been broken is of the most power because that power has been harnessed.
2. Meekness=strength under control.
3. Meekness means I have confidence in whose I am; it is a conscious decision.
4. Jesus wants everything: our hurts, our pains, our strengths, and our talents.

After church, I went to the grocery, had lunch at home, swept, mopped, did laundry, studied the GMAT, looked at business schools, enjoyed the sunshiney weather, got lunch ready for tomorrow, watched a Southeast Christian sermon on 1 John/walking the path, talked to family and friends back home, and finally baked the muffin concoction that was on my to-do list for the weekend. My roommates were out of town, so I didn't want to make it and have to eat it all by myself. No worries! Ray came and gobbled down 3 pieces for me (so it couldn't have been too bad). I found a recipe online for blueberry muffins made from pancake mix that were 'kid approved.' Well, first off I like to tweak recipes and make them my own. Secondly, I try to think healthy and something about the 1/2 cup of sugar and title 'kid friendly' made me think the sugar could be cut out some. So instead of blueberries, I used craisins. I used less oil and water, no sugar, and I added in 2 containers of blueberry flavored yogurt not listed in the ingredients. Oh, and I didn't have a muffin pan, so it became a cake. How's that for tweaking the recipe? The end result was not super sweet, but healthier and tasty enough for me to eat it for dinner...and eat a lot of it. I made a heart out of craisins on the top of it, and took a picture before cutting into it so that I could share it....then I realized I didn't have my SD card in the camera. This means that since the cable for my camera is back in the states, this picture is stuck on my camera. So what did I do so you all could at least glimpse my creation??? I took a picture of a picture. As my grandfather would say, "how do you like them apples?" So besides a clean apartment and more intelligent brain, this is the fruit of my productive and relaxing Macau day:
Enjoy your Sabbath!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like them apples a lot Chels. Have a good week. AuntieAnn

Anonymous said...

so if Jesus wants everything, does that mean He wants some of your muffin cake? dll

Chels said...

Haha. I suppose that's logical, dll.
You have a good week as well Pretzel lady ;)