Friday, February 24, 2012

Apples and Oranges and Neither

Athena and I went to see a movie tonight. Other than that, I just chilled at home in the a.m. and went to work later in the afternoon. The exciting point of the day may have been this new type of orange I tried:
My students told me it was different than an orange and from the mainland, but I'm not sure of it's exact name.They come in wrappers though--that's the plastic thing next to it. They are extremely easy to peel and slightly sweeter than an orange.

Apparently yesterday was some festival/holiday of sorts because Lauren, Mike, and Athena came in telling me about a celebration of sorts they saw near one of the temples. One of the students told Athena it was the second day of the second month in the lunar year, and that meant it was a good day to get a hair cut. Apparently it's bad luck to get a hair cut during the lunar new year on certain days. This picture below is a small temple on my daily commute that had all kinds of flowers around it. They had Chinese signs, so I couldn't read them. I know that flowers of this kind are sent to new businesses when they open, but I'm not sure what this was about. Whatever it was, there were plenty of them. The flowers were around the back of the temple and continuing down the sidewalk. There are also flags around the temple on the sidewalk. I'm not sure if that's for different reasons though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a pomelo, perhaps smaller....dll