Today began early, started with motivation, and ended with motivation. For all of you that are trying to get/stay in shape out there, it is a hard battle that can get very discouraging. At least it has been for me because I'm a lover of quick results. When I don't see them, it's like--ah, not worth it (sometimes). Fortunately, I have an endurance coach (sort of). Because Mike and I are battling this one out together, we keep each other accountable. He's also lost over 100 pounds before, so he's studied a lot of the secrets. He told me about the secret of hidden calories. I suppose it's not so secret, but a lot of times thanks to marketers and not counting what all we eat, 'healthy' snacks add up calories quick. If you're eating, you're eating. While there is something to be said about better choices, remember that your body only needs/burns so much. Today, I was surprised to find out a cup of hot tea can be 60+ calories, coffee (no sugar/milk) 90, and cherry tomatoes are 20 calories a pop (THEY'RE TINY!) So today, I counted calories, snacked every two hours, and am about to work out. I hope this works. At least I'm more aware of healthy choices now, right?...Moral of the story--hang in there on your goals.
Hou Kong cancelled today after I prepped this morning. She notified me about 1.5 hours before I was going to walk their way. Fortunately, I was on my email. I couldn't help but think what might have happened had I not been at my desk. Once again, cultural differences.
Tonight's debate was on "This House Believes That Casinos will make Macau Bankrupt." Some of the students had difficulty framing either side. They ended up framing it as 'morally bankrupt.' More interestingly, though was a comment I got from one of the students at the end of debate about my ceramic coffee mug. This cup of sorts was sent to me in a box from somewhere in that city called 'home.' The two students shared that in Chinese culture, if someone gives you a cup it means they want to be your lifelong friend. Too nifty. The cup itself says, 'Friends are angels that follow you through life.' In that case, I have been blessed with plenty of angels.
When we were walking back after debate, Ray mentioned that I had gotten kudos from my boss and several other about the business activity I set up. There's nothing quite like a reward for all your hard work, and I've always appreciated having my bosses appreciate my investment in their goals, company, etc. I was even more impressed that Ray turned down the credit when it was offered toward him. That's a huge challenge--turning down extra credit in the eyes of your boss. Ray's a good kid, guy, man...It just feels weird calling people my age men and women. haha. Someday, I hope I make a great and encouraging boss.
Thanks for reading about my journeys :)
No comments:
Post a Comment