My trophy.
Tonight was fabulous. Valentines Day is often built up as something romantic and special between two lovers, and I respect it for that, but there's so much more to love than we often acknowledge. The English language is limited in that 'love' can be toward french fries, a brother, a lover, etc.--and all circumstances use the same word. In Greek, there were at least 3 words for love. I think this communication barrier of sorts on what type of love we exactly mean makes it more difficult to tell people in general that we have love for them. Most of us would feel awkward to just walk up to an acquaintance and tell them we love them, but we likely do hold some degree of love for them.
My Valentines Day was a bit of a double date that wasn't a date. haha. Explanation: our Bible Study group had a potluck at our pastor and wife's apartment. The married couples ducked out, a couple of people couldn't make it because of work, etc. All of this narrowed down until it was just my pastor, his wife, me, and Chris--a professor at UMac. I really enjoyed tonight for it's genuineness and the love that was shared between people because of mutual care about well being. They gave me tips on travel, we talked the streets of Macau, bureaucracy of Hong Kong, Chris' Iowa home, family, Chinese culture, etc. I took ham roll ups, a Macau adaptation of dill pickle dip and chips, which were simple and went over well. Chris brought Mexican stew which was delicious and just right in spiciness. Lynn made rice, green beans, and an amazing Mango Pudding (which is more like gelatin in a pie dish). We shared tea, talk, and tickles (I needed a 't' alliteration for the word 'laughter' there..no tickle fights were involved ;)). And not at one point did it cross my mind that I should have been out with some guy on Valentines or that my life was missing something. No, I was (and am) quite content. My "lovers' day" was full of love, just of a different sort.
One of the interesting bits they shared tonight was about the English names Chinese students choose. I'd not picked up on it, but most often the chosen names are at least 2 syllables (like Jackie or Tristan). Our pastor's wife was telling me if the name is one syllable, you are supposed to say "ah" before the name. For instance, her name is Lynn, but the Chinese she work with always call her Ah-Lynn. I think it's some sort of respect thing, but it goes across all ages and levels of importance. I found this quite intriguing, and will be interested to see how many of my boys' names are single syllable in my 3 classes tomorrow when I pass out their name tents.
Before I left, Steve and Lynn asked me to sign their guest book. This guest book was given to them at their wedding, and they've been married around 30 years, I think. They've lived in at least 2 states, New Zealand and Macau. Steve joked that they were still trying to fill it up. In the brief 2 pages that were open to me, I saw addresses from several different countries. What a unique story those 2 loving people share; and it's all because they were willing to work together wherever God led them. ...now that....that's a Valentines Day worthy example of love. Today also marks the anniversary of the day that Steve proposed to Lynn many moons ago.
Applesauce, lots of love, and cream cheese: I guess I had a sweet, loving, mushy Valentines Day after all ;)
1 comment:
oh its a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful for a neighbor, ah-chel......dll
Post a Comment