This was one of those wake up 3 hours before you need to kind of mornings, but the day was surprisingly energy packed.
I went to the orphanage this afternoon and helped out a wee bit. I mostly was there to have lunch and meet up with the pastor to walk over to the 'foreign missionary' event that I'd been invited to that I knew nothing about. Lunch was fish, tofu, and rice. Before lunch, I worked on numbers with a reluctant 14 year old named John. After lunch, I did a puzzle with 3 of the kids during the 'resting' that comes naturally after eating--it's hard for them to understand I don't rest after I eat. After the puzzle was completed, I helped a little girl by giving her a vocabulary spelling quiz. The poor thing was crying. Talk about ripping your heart out. I kind of felt like a mom--though there was an orphanage worker who was comforting her, I was merely experiencing a glimpse of what a mother feels when their child struggles with something as simple as spelling. I'm sure I had my spells, no pun intended.
When we walked to the event, I found out it was a festival for children that is part of the 4-14 mission around the world to make a positive, lasting impact on children between the ages of 4-14 because they are our future, we want them to grow up pursuing Christ, and those are the most impactful ages. The event was hosted by an orphanage in Taipa and local churches helped out. There was a group of about 20 Americans teens/early twenties who were there helping as part of a YWAM (Youth With a Mission) tour. They do training for 2 or 3 months and then go to a place for 2 months I think. I met guys from Kansas, Texas, and one from Canada. Their training was in Hawaii...nice.
Balloons, bright colors, a clown, dancers to praise music and kid oriented activities were all part of the celebration and activities. It lasted most of the day.
While at the festival, I met an assortment of attractive Brazilian football (soccer) players that play here in Macau. This was as a result of finding out about another church here. I also met some new Portuguese girls. The pastor of the Brazilian group told me that he saw me in the airport 2 months ago thinking very hard and writing, thinking and writing. I laughed--yep, that sounds like me. I know how to leave and impression with my over analytical self, at least.
Here are some pictures from the festival:
Dancers and the banner in the background with the verse that inspired the 4-14 movement.
This was a banner they made by placing leaves with wishes and dreams on the blank tree. Each child wrote on a slip of green paper and placed it on the banner. The M.C. said they were going to show these wishes to the Macau government. The Portuguese girl Cristiana and mine made it up there...we are now children of Macau apparently--haha. oops.
When I went to leave, one of the Brazilians did the typical (for them) cheek grace goodbye. My new Portuguese friend did it as well. Not awkward, but I tell you I focus really hard to make sure not to accidentally kiss them or go the wrong direction. haha. Oh, culture.
I had dinner tonight with Alissa closer to the border. It's interesting that I'm making so many more contacts and friends now that my time in Macau is winding down. I can't believe how close we are to done...
No comments:
Post a Comment