Monday, April 2, 2012

education, situations, and run-away-tions

Here's a picture of winter melon that I mentioned the other day. I had the rest of it for lunch today.   
On my walk into work, I was crossing an intersection and a middle aged guy slowed on his scooter and grinned at me. I smiled back courteously. Then, he motioned for me to get on the back seat of his moped...How did he know old men on slow motorized equipment are my thing?! I waved him away and he got the message. I'm not sure if he'd mistaken me for a Russian prostitute. As I said, they dress pretty modestly. A lot of tourists must have the idea that the majority of foreigners here are prostitutes as Kenisha had someone come up and beg her to go with him or connect him with one of her friends. Of course the excess amount of pamphlets and brochures scattered on the ground everywhere don't help clarify that some of us are not for rent...

I walked to Hou Kong today to find out they didn't need me today or next week. At least I got the free exercise walking too and from work on the clock.

At debate tonight, we did a little different style than normal. It was like a speed version which required them to debate on their feet. The motion originated from the discussion of how the term 'third gender' in China can mean women with a Ph.D because they are less likely to get married. Then we broke out into a discussion of why more highly educated women would experience issues finding a husband...and naturally that ended in a motion.

After debate, we met up with the two girls who are couchsurfing tonight. They are from Taiwan and work for the Honduras department of the Taiwan branch of World Vision. Too cool! They translate the letters to the sponsors from Chinese to English and then the people in Honduras translate from English into Spanish. Interesting how many hands it goes through before reaching the child. We went to the Shanghai Restaurant near where we live for a late dinner/dessert.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

winter melon sounds like a chewing gum flavor....dll