You’ve probably heard of those women who men call teases...those ones that just dangle themselves for the temptation? Then internet service I am attempting to use from my balcony is clearly a woman. Oh, the female gender. ;) Macau actually has this really neat program called wifi-go. I think it’s mostly because the large percentage of tourists that the city entertains. The government has set up wifi hot spots all over Macau where you can get 45 minutes of wifi free. This can be found in parks, at museums, etc. Anything they want tourists to visit. It’s pretty nice. It’s unsecured, but it’s free. Currently, I’m not near a park or tourist attraction that I know of, but up this high, maybe it just becomes part of the oxygen molecule (makes sense when you consider some people pretty much breathe, eat, and sleep the internet).
So today we moved in! Yay! This means every drop of water and breath of A/C I consume comes from my wallet. No, really, I’m happy to just finally have a home again. Thus begins my 10 month routine.
Since today was a public holiday, we moved in, unpacked suitcases and shopped. When I say ‘shopped,’ I mean that I bought only the basics (remember, we still haven’t got the moolah moolah yet). As Madea would say in Diary of a Mad Black Woman I bought wi-ah hang-ahs! (wire hangers). We ate McDonalds for dinner again…it’s addictive!!! I have eaten more McDonalds in the past 3 weeks than I have in all of college. Not good. Even worse, tonight we found the nutrition information on the back of the tray paper. Why do they print stuff like that? It’s like someone was giving you a high five and then hit you in the forehead. We know it’s not good for u; we just tell ourselves that the walk to McDonalds somehow burns 5,000 calories. …oh, and on the topic of McDonalds…they are EVERYWHERE. If you ever come visit Macau, do not try to landmark something with a McDonalds. It’s kind of like being in a fun house…you’ll just get lost in all the maze of mirrors/McDs.
There’s this store here called Daiso. It’s a Japanese bargain superstore—think a big Deals or Dollar Tree-esque. Everything is 14 MOPs, unless it is labeled otherwise. This means most things are about $1.50. I was happy to find colorful baskets and such. I didn’t buy any pretty stuff except for a rug, which doubles as a place to wipe my feet before I get into bed. I’m excited to turn my white walls and fake wood into a little more personal space in a few days J
A big thing we have to pay attention to here that you don’t have to in the states is humidity and mold. We have these disposable dehumidifying boxes in our rooms that hopefully help prevent mold and mildew. We shall see. This is the dryer of the seasons, so hopefully we’ll get used to 90% humidity and rain effects by the time it gets here.
Well, I’ve actually typed this post in Word, but I better not make it too large or it won’t upload before the teasing internet departs. We hope to get our own wifi soon. Tomorrow is back to teaching 5th grade boys. I’ve got so many back up plans it’s like a 401k teaching method. …not a good example. I have a worksheet, a Hip Hop fairytale song, a Powerpoint, and so on and so forth.
Adios amigos y amigas.
...and I cannot believe I forgot and had to come add this back in after I posted it, but we found a building with a bowling alley and ice skating rink near our apartment today! The inner child in me is screaming birthday party! :)
...and I cannot believe I forgot and had to come add this back in after I posted it, but we found a building with a bowling alley and ice skating rink near our apartment today! The inner child in me is screaming birthday party! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment