Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Little Bit Stronger Winds

Today, we experienced our first Typhoon 8. When a typhoon 8 occurs, businesses close and everyone stays home. It's kind of an intense thunderstorm/mini hurricane from the ocean. It's not really dangerous so long as you stay inside a sturdy building. Also, because most businesses are open front (that is, they don't have doors, they're just open to the streets), the hard rain and wind would blow into the shops. So people just stay home and close shop. At some points it can be difficult to walk in the winds, and most people walk around here anyway. Our boss texted Lauren that we shouldn't come into work today. We did until this evening when Ray decided to have Shakespeare practice because the rain had hit and we thought it was pretty much over. (We are such great employees!)

Sare Evans has a pretty good song about getting over an ex called "A Little Bit Stronger."  I have revamped this song to be "A Little Bit Stronger Winds,"--my song about our Typhoon 8 today. Enjoy! (Here's the youtube video of the original song pre-Chelsey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22zB6Soc2Gk&ob=av2e).

Woke up late today and I smelled the first signs of the rain
But I brushed my teeth anyway
I got dressed through my mess and put oatmeal in my face
I got ready for the typhoon

Didn't ride the bus to work cuz Lauren caught me at the door
Our boss had texted her not me, 'don't come in in the typhoon'
I'm glad I listened and I didn't, cuz it was wet
I'm getting a little bit tired, think I'll take a long nap
I slept in til 11 this morning
It felt really nice that wind and rain allowed me to stay home today, woah
I'm done thinking that I might go out in the rain
I know the streets will be too wet to play, but I'm telling myself I'll be ok
Even on this typhoon day
I think I'll go read a good book...yessss, on my iPad

It was supposed to happen overnight, but I woke up
And a cloud's gone by and I realize it hasn't rained
I guess I'll wait another hour or a second or another minute longer
I'm busy making tea now

And I'm done hoping that we will go outside
It's way too windy out, all the stores'r closed
I guess I'll drag my feet around
And, oh, I'm done thinking, that I could stop the rain

I know my workload will be there Tuesday
But I'm telling myself I'll be okay
Even on my off work days, I sleep a little bit longer
I sleep a little bit longer

Getting along in the rain
I'm better off with the rain, hey
How does it feel off work today?
I'm getting excited about typhoon 8's!

And I'm done hoping we could go to work
I'm done with how it feels, with dry outside
I'll play solitaire and minesweeper
Oh, I'm done thinking that I don't like the rain

I know this day will never be the same
But I'm telling myself I'll be okay
Even on my off work days
I get a little like a school kid

I get a little like a school kid
On a snowed out school day, yeah, yeah,
A little bit, a little bit, a little bit school kid
I get a little bit happy, yeahhh.

..Haha. And there you have it. While at home today, I read some more of the book I'm working on The English Orphans, fixed the zipper on my wallet, sewed my change purse, made everyone tea, talked to the Kazak Xin Jiang teacher who came to visit us, hung out in the living room with the ETAs, listened to music, played minesweeper and spider solitaire (in honor of my mother, the champion), and cleaned a bit. I was really glad that we had the day off honestly because I was going to sit and do desk work until our Shakespeare rehearsal at 4:30, and I had to put in 9 hours today since we're not working tomorrow. Plus, out of all days to see my first typhoon level 8, today was pretty convenient considering it's a holiday weekend.

I don't think I'll be blogging for a few days since I will be in HK.

You'll catch more of the crazy writings of this kid soon enough.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

thinking this was God's way of saying you needed a break. love your sense of humor in every situation, couldn't quit laughing picturing you singing and the video that you could make outta this, pure tosh o material. happy long weekend, stay safe.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

She said in the video that the apartment was getting so big and cold....is that how it feels in your apartment? dad

Chels said...

Big and cold...haha. Big=never. Cold=coming, but not here yet.

Jess, I was all about that break--and maybe that was His way of saying it. I find most of the time when God steps in I'm nodding in agreement :) (of course there are those hard lesson times too)
Love you! Back safe!