Monday, September 5, 2011

baby potties sold the world

Last night I attended an English mass with one of the other ETAs. It was pretty much identical to the masses I've been to in the states with 2 exceptions: when they show peace to each other they turn and nod instead of shaking hands or hugging, and they have people standing up in the back, even pouring onto the streets. Mazen (the other ETA) and I agreed that it must be the huge Filipino population that works here, since they speak English. It was a good service about forgiving each other and how a lack of forgiveness can eat away at you.

After mass, we went up near the ruins of St. Paul, a cathedral that burnt down minus the concrete front, and grabbed a pork chop sandwich. I had read somewhere that this was a Macau specialty, and the stands with them are pretty common throughout the city, but I wasn't overly impressed. It tasted like pork chop on a bun, no special seasoning or sauce. They did through in a free egg tart though, which is like a miniature custard pie, so I can't complain.

Today was our first day of work officially (as in orientation is over). I hope you all are enjoying your Mondays off. Our first adventure today was to open a bank account and to drop off some governmental paperwork. I am so glad that Ray speaks fluent Cantonese as we went into 3 government buildings before finding the right one. We also weren't able to open accounts since we don't technically have an address yet. Boo.

Dumplings for lunch. I've gotten to the point where I crave white rice (mei fan in Chinese) now. Weird, who does that?

After lunch we had 2 meetings then went to preview the other primary school that I might be working at. The way it looks if everything works out, I will be doing after school English classes for grades 1-5 three days a week. hahaha. Oh goodness. Ray is at the Kindergarten school down the street. Since Macau is such a small area, land is precious and schools build up/only hold so many grades. The primary school without kindergarten has 7 floors. Luckily, it has an elevator (not that I couldn't use the workout). The title of this blog is based on the fact that there are miniature, legitimate porcelain toilets in the Kindergarten building. Between seeing those and the cuties that were in the classes, geez, I was sold. It was like one of those cute 'save the puppies' ads without the puppies and with miniature people and potties!

We were whisked back to work just in time to have a meeting with supervising teachers, the writing clinic head, and curriculum people. Then, we went to Debate group and met all the new students. Last but not least, we finished up the night with McDonald's. I know, I know, it made me sick. But it's SOOO cheap. I at least had a Fillet-O-Fish meal instead of a Big Mac this time. We'll see how many languages my stomach speaks in the morning.

Good Labor Day...that is day laboring...for us here in the tropics!

No comments: