Today=uneventful: office hours, teaching prep, and first official staff meeting where we met all the trainers we work with.
In other news, I've been thinking a lot more recently about the seriousness of issues in this world. Maybe it's the fact that I'm surrounded by some of the 'best and brightest' (as Fulbright coined it) minds in the U.S. When we have dinner, sure we talk about Beyonce and the like, but I find that more often we discuss things like human trafficking, famines, child mutilation, and other important, often ignored, and very serious topics.
I love America. I REALLY, really do. I also realize that growing up in the most developed country in the world has sheltered me from some of the realities and struggles that are more than common in other countries. Women's rights, laws again abuse, support against hunger, freedom of speech, etc. are all things that are a completely different story in America (and probably many other developed countries) than in areas outside of the states. Are there struggles in the states? Sure. I completely believe that there are still needs to be filled by loving people in the states and that people in the U.S. experience pain, need, etc. But so often I am afraid that Americans do not acknowledge just how blessed they are. One of my primary school pupils is missing 4 of his fingers. I'm no expert, I know no information as to his personal situation, and I will NOT state any assumptions, but let's just say it got me thinking.
So do you have it bad? I'm sure your struggles are completely legitimate and I am not trying to underestimate or under-acknowledge what you are facing. But in a world where babies are abandoned, people are intentionally mutilated to beg for money, and 8 year old daughters are sold into the sex trade by their families so that the brother might get an education/the family can survive/have a promising future...in a world where all these things exist, we must be cautious in considering our situations to be so horrid/painful. I am currently reading a book about a Russian in a camp back in the days of Stalin. This helps me keep things in perspective...and I need that. Sometimes I get the blahs, and next thing you know it's contagious...my Tuesdays catch the 'blah' bug from my Mondays, they spread it to my Wednesdays, and before can say 'sugar molasses,' days and months turn virally 'blah.'
God bless America; no, seriously, God bless it! And may all of us Americans that sometimes let the little frustrations of life get us down not only keep in mind the horrors some people of the world face, but also take action to make changes. Don't just pity people's conditions; do what you can to help. Be proactive in improving the lives of others, and, by doing so, improve your own.
No comments:
Post a Comment