Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sabado no mo', Domingo fo' sho'

For those of you who didn't at all get the title of this blog, Sabado is Spanish for Saturday and Domingo is Spanish for Sunday...I think. Lol. Today is Sunday: my new favorite day of the week!I'm currently sitting in a Cuppacoffee-- a cafe in Taipa that is quickly gaining ground as my new favorite establishment. Free wifi, great affordable coffee or tea...who could ask for more? Kanye West...I'm sure he could ask for more.

To answer the question I'm sure you're all wondering: yes, I made it to the church! Yay! And with time to spare. I will admit I was a bit concerned this morning because I went to get on the bus, and the driver told me to get off and go to the other side (there was a separate section of buses). But alas, I arrived! Finding it after I got off the bus was even more so a piece of cake...it was right there. Turns out that last night when we asked the Cantonese guy for directions, we were about 100 feet away.

So, the service....it's in a club. Lol. But serously the story is that they rent the facility (disco ball and all) on Sunday mornings. It's a nice facility and probably 50 people attend. I met 2 other American girls that are similar in age right off the bat. They are doing fellowships teaching English at another university here. The service was great and was on the topic of lust, sex, and prostitution interestingly enough. (I still 100% believe God has a sense of humor...and I did blog about that yesterday.) Apparently affairs and mistresses are pretty common in the region and parts of the mainland (China), or so I am told. The pastor focused in Proverbs 5 with supporting texts from Matthew 5 and 1 Corinthians on purity.

After church, I ate my apple pear...that's not a mistake, there's a fruit very popular here called that. It looks like an apple's shape with a pear's consistency and flavor. Very tasty. :) Lunch included that and some ritz sandwich crackers with cheddar at the park, which is more like a garden, concrete open Chinese pavilion and a coy pond. I explored grocery stores as well, and there are some stores here with a wide western selection for a little extra price. My most exciting moments included discovering Jif peanut butter, Quaker oatmeal, and honey. I've been telling everyone that my goal while I was here was to find a Dr.Pepper. My work here is done....I'm coming home. Lol, okay I'm not coming home yet, but I did find 23 flavors wrapped in an aluminum can. Woot woot!

After the grocery, the next adventure was the Taipa culture houses. I was just wandering around when up a hill I stumbled upon a beautiful grove of lilly pads and these house/ museums of art, history, and Portuguese culture. And, lucky for me, they are free on Sundays! It is very interesting to see the infusion of east and west, English and Cantonese, Christian culture and Buddhist culture, and old and new architecture here. Macau is a shining example to the world of how to live in peace with differences...prosperity probably makes this a lot easier. There is still much to learn! ...and teach...and share...

At this point, I will probably head back to Macau in a bit. It's been a fantastic (and fantastically humid) day. Tonight, I have a chance to go to mass with one of the other ETAs...I have only been to mass a few times, so I'm interested to see what the one here is like.

Zoom zoom.

No comments: