Tuesday, September 6, 2011

just in time (Justin time?)

Sometimes God just hits me with His promises. My middle of the day 'blahs' turn into His glory and just a feeling of peace. I try to explain it, but then all I have within me and all the education I've been trained with just doesn't cut it. He is that amazing. I truly, truly believe it.

Today was mostly uneventful and more like a routine working day that will likely become the norm. We did some administrative stuff, had a meeting about the Shakespeare Festival, met with the Health Sciences department, and prepared for our first day of teaching at the elementary school tomorrow. Pray that my teaching 5th graders goes well!

The part of the day that stuck out most today was the tour of the Health Sciences department. They are very nice facilities made to simulate nursing situations, and once again confirming I am not meant to go into the medical field. We got to see a room full of preserved body parts from actual humans--not my thing. I know that we are so much more than bodies, and that when a human passes the soul has departed, but I found myself wondering what the stories were behind each preserved body (once again, I don't think I belong in the medical field). There was a two headed baby that we were told had been aborted. That really bugged me. First off, it's not my thing looking at human parts (I can skin a squirrel or chop a fish's head off, but humans, even dead ones, are a different story). Also, I just thought of that child's potential. So what if there may have been challenges? There are miracles each day. Most of us have something (even if it's minor) 'wrong' with us, and we learn how to adapt or medicate it, etc. Who gets to say that the baby didn't have a chance even at a try? I just don't get it. The normal club should give more people a chance. Some of the most beautiful outcomes have been 'mistakes,' 'incapable,' 'disabled,' or 'unworthy' in someones eyes. I have been inspired and had my day turned around more than once by a precious little boy from Maryland who spends most of his day in a wheelchair and by a beautiful, sassy 16 year old girl who has Cerebral Palsy.

Sometimes we (myself included) can be a bit too selfish. Make it your goal today to look at the world through a pair of glasses not your own.

Thanks for adventuring with me!

No comments: