Today I was wonder woman. No seriously, I wore a cape to work. Okay, not so true, but I did make a worksheet from scratch for my 5th grade class to do. What they've done is give us the books that the kids use, but tell us they're covering that material in their classes the other days of the week. My job is to use their vocabulary, and more and more it seems like I am going to be making the activities from scratch. I Googled and YouTubed my little heart out today trying to find songs, games, and materials. I did find the hip hop fairy tale song, but pretty much everything else was too basic or not cool enough for 5th grade boys (or so I guessed). So voila, I have a worksheet from scratch about Ms. Smith and Mr. Timothy using the vocal words like 'wealthy, handsome, glad, castle' etc. I was tempted just to put a picture of Ben in front of his 3rd street apartments as an visual example for a lot of the words. ;) okay, not really, but those were actually some of the vocab.
We also took another trip back to our apartments. This time they didn't smell as fresh because they weren't being cleaned while we were there, and Lauren found a peed on blanket they'd left for us to use (it's furnished)...? Yay! She came up to me and told me to smell it. Do I look dumb enough to sniff something you tell me smells like pee? Don't answer that. We plan on moving in this weekend, but may face challenges since 2 of the girls' keys don't work (mine included) and we don't have the entry code for the building. We shall see. We still have the hotel for a few more days, no worries.
The international fireworks competition will be taking place here in Macau for the next few weekends. This means countries from around the world (US does not participate) will be blowing up money for our entertainment. Score. Even better news is that since we have an apartment higher than other buildings in the part of the city we are in and that is somewhat near the coast, we should have a great view from our balcony.
Tonight we ventured to Taipa, where I had my first gelato ever. It was a splurge, but I've been eating a lot of meals from the grocery and not eating out as much, so it wasn't so bad. I had chocolate on one side of the cone and strawberry-blueberry on the other. They give you two flavors of deliciousity. Yum. Actually, interesting side note: when I got my 5th grade boys to do their acrostic names the other day, the word 'yummy' showed up a lot for Y. :)
Interesting fact of the day: the Chinese word to answer a telephone is pronounced like the English word 'why.' So every time I hear someone pick up the phone and say the Chinese hello I giggle to myself, thinking it's like 'why did you call me'...well, hello to you too!
I'm currently at my favorite coffee shop in this part of the world again--Cuppacoffee :).Thus the end to a good day.
Cha cha cha.
1 comment:
Keep 'em coming Chels! I love reading your blog and 'living' it with you each day.
Post a Comment