Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Waka waka, hey hey!

Today was fabulous..again. Gosh, this is happening a lot recently! :)

Another public holiday--I know, you're thinking 'does she ever work?' The answer is yes...I think ;).
Today, I slept in, did laundry, swept and mopped (are you excited yet?!?), waited a half hour for a bus to Coloanne, and then got to ride a bus where I cuddled with strangers (aka it was packed).
....and THEN...
I meant to go hiking, but I decided last minute to go to the panda park which is on the way to the hiking. Good decision. Although I didn't realize that it was about to close, so I never saw a panda, I did get to dance!! That's right,
There was a combination of different ethnicities in their group (Chinese, Portuguese, African, Scottish-Chinese--that's the guy on the left with the fro...I talked to him after). They were playing a mixture of like African/Spanish music and there was a girl and guy in the audience from the band that led the dancing. I started dancing in the back and one of the guys with a drum came and I hooked my arm in his and he led me to the front to the dance saying 'beautiful, beautiful' about my dancing. I had a backpack on, so let's be honest, it was not great dancing, it was because I was one of the few people dancing. It was FANTASTIC!!! And then they came off stage and we all danced in a circle and chanted something very similar to this video from Shakira. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRpeEdMmmQ0

Then the Panda park closed (I got there late), so I didn't actually get to see the pandas. There was this little zoo of sorts inside the park where they had peacocks, ostriches, other birds, and several different monkey/cousin of monkey types. There was this one monkey that kept swinging in circles all around his cage.  It was very entertaining--he didn't stop the whole time I was there.I wanted to take a picture, but he was never still. I couldn't help but think my brother would have loved it :). If there's a video below, it's the monkey, though I've never uploaded a video before, so I'm not sure if/how it works. 
 
When I left the park because it was closing, my new found dancing friends were leaving in a van. They honked at waved at me as they left :). About that same time, a biker rode past playing Justin Bieber's "Baby." Haha. Oh, the whole wide world has Bieber fever.

I ended up walking to Coloanne Village, where the original Lord Stow's Bakery is located. I treated myself to an egg tart and milk since Lord Stow's is the original inventor of the egg tart that is originally from Macau and now a popular treat throughout Asia. This wasn't my first egg tart. The other I mentioned having in Hong Kong was not nearly as good. As Goldilocks would say, this one was 'just right.'
After the snack, I roamed around Coloanne Village, where I came across the following things:



A world relevant sign (inside the church seen below)
A giant Fanta bottle

Outdoor wall paintings 
A temple

A Catholic Church (the green sign above is from a room inside the church)
This isn't even 1/10 of my pictures, but I can't post them all to the blog. When it got dark, I came home to leftover duck (yum). This morning I had a leftover red bean stuffed coconut rice thing. I'm not sure the exact name. It's very different having beans for sweets...

The day is coming to an end, now off to teach 2 classes of nursing students tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the egg tart looks like an over toasted english muffin...dll