God has a way of surprising us. He puts people in our lives at the right moment (which is normally the moment we never guessed) to say or do exactly what we need, even if it's something small. Lauren's cousin is staying with us this week, and he is an absolute bundle of sunshine. He's got an interesting life story for one, but he's come through his challenges with bits of wisdom that happen to be just what I need to hear. He's very concerned about others, and even offered a hug when my response to 'how's the family' came back with a response different from 'great.' I didn't take him up on that hug, but something about his kindness has a way of surrounding others in the way that is like a personality hug anyway.
Today's advice had to do with job searching. Lauren was talking about her future as a doctoral student or the career she really wants and I chimed in about not knowing what I'm doing, potentially going into an entry level position, really disliking cubicles, etc. Now, Mike's got years of experience on me and he shared 3 pieces of wisdom that work into more than just the 20-something job search, so perhaps they'll help with your life as well:
1) Talk to God. Ultimately it's His life anyways, so just remember to listen.
2) Literally make a square with your hands and look down through it at your feet. Ask yourself: where are my feet? What am I doing here? For him, the answer is currently Lauren's apartment--vacation and exploration, and he needs to make the most of this moment. Often we try to look at the big picture and we forget the precious moment we've been given that we're currently in.
3) Money won't make you happy. He then added with a laugh, "I'm not saying it doesn't help, but ultimately it's not the answer." And it's true. There is a pressure in American culture to always have the next big thing--iPad, iPhone, Mercedes, etc., and sometimes we get wrapped up in pursuing items rather than goals and desires. Part of me thinks the idea of going into an entry level position/low paying job is taking a step down from the goals I've set for myself, but if it's doing something that I really am fulfilled by than it's beyond worth it. Mike shared that he'd turned down a job opportunity in Indiana that paid far more, but that California (and sunshine) seemed to suit him best right now.
So, thank God for all the 'Mikes' in the world that show up with advice just when needed.
A funny and somehow disturbing bit Mike also shared with us girls tonight was something called 'kancho.' When he taught in Japan, Mike said it was completely normal and an acceptable childhood prank for little boys to come up to their male teachers, make their hands in a fist with pointer fingers sticking out, and shove those finger right into the teacher's rear when they least expected it. Disturbing...and I'm really glad I don't teach in Japan. Apparently Mike had a coworker that got upset about it, and it damaged relations with other coworkers who thought he shouldn't make that big of a deal about it. Oh, cultural differences. That could be a lawsuit in the U.S.
I closed the evening at the apartment tonight--must have been where I needed to be to get that advice. Athena got sick (literally) in the office, and I went into mother mode. I couldn't go to Bible Study and leave her there. So, I carried her backpack, gave her a plastic bag, and we took the bus. Let's just say I was glad to be there with her, as she did have to use the plastic bag while on the bus. Poor thing. Fortunately my humming 'God loves everyone, even evil trolls' (a song from the movie The Little Troll Prince) and the chatter on the bus kept everyone from noticing her situation. She's resting now, so I'm praying she feels better and that she doesn't give it to any of the rest of us.
Please continue to pray for the gramps. Gramps gotta be a champ!
1 comment:
very astute advice...kudos to the cousin....dll
Post a Comment