Monday, September 19, 2011

Make Every Day Shine. -Dole

Who knew that pineapple juice cans were giving out free therapy sessions? It's like Oprah in a wrapper, only better. The title of this blog is an exact quote/slogan from my can of pineapple juice I bought on the way back from teaching tiny 1st graders today. "Make Every Day Shine." Interesting story was that I already tried to put a little sunshine into someones day today by using the sun as a visual for happiness. Well, what am I doing here in Macau when I could be writing slogans for fruit juice companies?!? Kidding, of course. I know what I'm doing here: drinking pineapple juice--haven't you been reading? :)

So you're wondering how teaching 1st grade tots went? Me too. I finished about half of my lesson because in the 40 minutes I had, the Chinese teacher who sits in the room for discipline let the entire class use the restroom first. There's about 25% of the lesson gone. Then I decided to get them to do name tags with ribbons that they could wear around their necks so I would know who they are when we get up and move around. Have I ever told you I'm horrible at estimating the size of Asian children's heads? --It's true. It's one of my 3 greatest weaknesses and I fear I will never be a rice hat engineer. What's a girl to do?-- Anyway, so I cut the string too small on a handful of the pre-tied name tag lanyard things and my kids are like,  'American sizes must be different!' Okay, they never said that but maybe they were thinking it. My favorite was this boy who I can tell will be a handful putting it barely on his head and flapping around. That's my kind of guy, laughing at the ridiculousness of life and just going with.  We danced, we sang, we recited, we learned (or something like it), and voila I was out of time. I was a little worried about running out of materials with kiddos, so I was dragging my feet a bit. At least now I have more of an idea of what I'm getting into on Wednesday. My contact told me I have about 58 second grade students on Friday...hahaha. God, is this a test? I knew God was going to grow me as a person on this trip, but this is going to be like one of those 'grow a girlfriend/boyfriend' sponge things you stick in water, with a side of Miracle Grow. Oh buddy...at least the twins (Emma and Emily) have helped prepare me for this!

Lunch today was cafeteria food since we were doing sign-ups for the Shakespeare team auditions. I had rice with cream corn and chicken as it was called. It was less chicken and corn, more cream, but it wasn't horrible. I guess school cafeterias are pretty much the same around the world ;) That is, except when my grandmother was a lunch lady--I bet it was really good back in the 70s.

In other news, I rode a bus and had to strongly nudge people to get off it was so packed. Let's just say there are some really cozy times standing on the bus during peak time.

Last, tonight in debate, the motion was that people should be required to reveal their real identity on the internet. I was fortunately adjudicating the more fluent, more experienced debaters. It was a very interesting debate from both sides. It takes a lot to think on your toes in general, but especially in your second language.

As Porky Pig says, "Tha-tha-that's all follllks!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice way of keeping the kids from getting the big head huh? dad