Saturday, March 10, 2012

Egg tarts are deceptive. They're not tart.

Ohhhh, lazy Saturdays in town, you are fantastic. Could the day have gone better? Perhaps, but I'm not trading!

I woke up to catch a good lookin' face on Skype. You ask 'don't you always see yourself in the bottom corner of the screen?' Haha, and I would of course say you were too kind, but yes. There was something about my oatmeal this morning too. I think maybe it's that I remembered I had it, and hadn't had it for a while. Plenty of sleep+good breakfast+good morning chat...good so far.

Then I trecked to the office to prepare for Sunday School. I'm teaching on the fall of the wall of Jericho tomorrow. Woot woot! Rahab is in the puzzle the kiddos will do as part of their activities, and can I just say I love that God made a prostitute so instrumental in this important series of events? God can use anyone--that's what's up.

After planning Sunday School, I travelled out to Coloanne. I haven't been out there in quite some time, so it was nice to see it again, although it was quite a chilly day. Even though Macau is tiny, it takes close to an hour by bus to get to Coloanne Village. I went to Lord Stow's Garden Cafe for lunch. It left me asking, 'why haven't I been here before?!' It was GREAT. I had a 'spicy chicken' sandwich (which was more like chicken salad with some type of spice on it, garden salad, and the homemade carrot and something soup. The cafe was started by an English man who moved to Macau. He was the original inventor of the egg tart, which I've had before and probably told you the story on. As far as I know, Lord Stow's only makes fresh egg tarts at their Coloanne Village bakery, so I got one--who knows when I'll be in Coloanne again. In case you need a reminder, this is what an egg tart looks like:
After that, I walked on water...okay, okay, I walked on what used to be water. You see, 10 years ago or so, Coloanne and Taipa were 2 different islands. Since then, they have reclaimed the land between them and created CoTai. This is where most of the new casinos are located and where lots of new luxury apartments are being built. I walked for over an hour, but it was refreshing. I checked out some new shops and such on my way.

I had some things to drop off (and as a result to pick up) at the library. I ran across a book Out of the Dust which I remember purchasing at a book fair in elementary or middle school. I've never read it though I own it. Ask my mother--bookstores are my weakness; I want to buy everything...but then not necessarily read it. I'm no good with the 'don't judge a book by its cover,' but hey, I'm a marketer at heart too. Out of the Dust is a novel written in poem form about a girl in Oklahoma during the Dust Bowl. I remember trying to read it when I was younger and just not being impressed enough to continue (though it's won an award). I figured I would get more out of it at this point in my life, and alas, the first 25 pages I read while waiting on dinner plans with the girls were quite rewarding. It's funny to me how things circle in and out of our lives. Hello again, book.

For dinner, the roomies and Lauren's friend from Washington went to the Vegetarian restaurant. Lauren's friend has just gotten back from Thailand, so most of the conversation over dinner was about her trip.

Now I'm in my room drinking tea and listening to Jack Johnson. Perhaps I'll get some reading in before I sleep and end this simple, good Saturday.

No comments: