Sunday, March 25, 2012

Hello again to the Jew (Zhuhai)

It's hard to believe today is Sunday. After working yesterday, I was considering this might turn out to be a mediocre weekend, but alas, Alabama and South Dakota swoop in to save the day. It's weird to think it's only been one day and that so much has been power packed into it. Also, it's almost 2am, so here comes the speedy version. (And unfortunately, I forgot my camera, so no pictures until I get them from a friend).

Today I:
1. Went to church
2. Got tickets for House of Dancing Waters this Friday from my acrobat friend at church
3. Ate clay pot rice with new found friends Rachel, Lindsey, and Alissa. The clay pot rice is literally baked in a clay pot with steamed meat on top. The rice on the bottom of the bowl is crispy, even burnt at the point of contact. It tasted like burnt popcorn, which reminded me of my mother.
4. Went to Alissa's before heading to the border--wow, one person living in a 3 bedroom apt, nice. Her landlord is a Christian, so she leases to Christians for less expensive. Cool idea, huh?
5. Went to Zhuhai, China--woot woot!
6. Checked out the underground mall briefly, showing Rachel where she could bargain for souvenirs.
7. Walked around in the beautiful, sunshiny weather.
8. Cabbed it to Lovers Rd. and the Fisher Lady statue (the signature landmark of Zhuhai). Here, we took pictures in front of the statue....4 other people showed up posing in our picture and taking pictures of us. 1)Rachel has blond hair, 2)We're white....I seem to forget this about the mainland, but it was a nice note of awareness for Rachel who is going to Beijing this week before travelling back to the U.S....and it made for some very entertaining pictures.
9. Went to a big park across the street from the statue--apparently having a small amusement park with rides inside a bigger city park is completely normal. We did not ride any.
10. Using lots of squatty potties today. I appreciate Macau's western toilets, but don't mind the reminder of how different many things are just across the border (the one I wake up looking at every morning).
11. Went to a big superstore with magnetic inclining escalators for shopping carts. I should not have gotten as excited about them as I did. There, we found bakery heaven--even chocolate chips! (Though they were outrageously expensvie). We got samples of black sesame soup and red bean peanut milk. Don't be jealous--actually, they weren't bad. I also got some dried kiwi. I think that's the first time I've had that.
12. Walked to a Shanghai style restaurant for dinner. There were no tables open, but a lady allowed us to sit with her and her 4 year old son at the table. The menu was a sheet you ticked off your orders on. It was Chinese characters only. The nice Chinese lady who let us sit there also helped translate some different things on the menu for us. Quite sweet. I love when God sends people into our paths at just the right moment :) They were getting a to go order. We had a veggie dish, dumplings, and a tomato/egg/ham/pork/rice dish. It was all quite delicious.
13. Too stuffed to think about....so we had gelato at the border. Wait...what? Haha. I had a flavor called Amadeus. Mmmm.. It was something chocolate-esque.
14. Got back through the border quickly. Exchanged hugs and information. Departed ways.
15. Got momentarily confused as the direction of my apparent, but am now safely nestled in my bed.
16. Watched the movie The Vow....analyzed, as always :) ...led me to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSnltiQozVk

Night, y'all. And blessins'

No comments: