Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Little bands, big bands, and all that's in between

The highlight of my day today was the miniatures singing songs offbeat and with less than perfect pronunciation. I'm sure this is the case for any group of small children singing 'The Wheels on the Bus," "Old MacDonald," or "Head Shoulders Knees and Toes," but these kids were cute because they were under my watch but not my job to discipline today. Haha, what can I say? I have a great appreciation for will behaved children and less so the other way around. The video of them singing is too large to post on here and the pictures came out mostly blurry, but trust me they were cute. The wheels on the bus went 'wound and wound.'
For dinner, I dropped into vegetarian on my way back to work from the school. The Chinese will not hesitate to sit you with someone if there are not enough seats to sit separately. Hence, I met Nicky and Jack--a British duo playing in a band at the Hard Rock Cafe in Taipa (part of the City of Dreams casino mega building). There's actually a Hard Rock Hotel here as well. They were from the UK and nice enough. We mostly had small talk, but they gave me contact info in case we ever wanted to meet up. Not a bad bumping into.

Another bumping into, which was a bit more literal, occurred when an attractive Portuguese guy stepped on my foot on the bus. It started a 'where are you from,' etc. conversation that didn't last long as he was departing. He mentioned working in the import/export business here, which intrigued me and I wished I'd had more time to pick his brain about what he does. Who knows, in a tiny place like Macau maybe I'll bump into him again.

Bible study tonight was fantastic as always. I just love talking about Jesus. You probably never picked up on that, huh? I was in a group with Anni (from Australia) and my pastor's wife (from New Zealand). It was nice to discuss and pray with them about a variety of topics--some on the Ephesians 4 unity of the church we were studying and some about personal things we've encountered recently. What's interesting is that when I first met my pastor's wife I had a lot of difficulty understanding her accent, but now it just seems soothing and sweet. She really is a great lady with a lot of valuable knowledge to share.

The most interesting point I brought home from Bible Study tonight was around the definition of love. There are multiple words for the all encompassing English word 'love' in Greek. Two of the types of love are 'agape' and 'eros.' Agape can be defined as love for the unworthy, whereas eros is love for the worthy. There are multiple interpretations, of course, but the question that is birthed out of these definitions is, "If I' a follower of Christ, do I get to choose who I will and will not love?" The answer is technically no, you are to love your enemies, the 'worthy' (in your eyes) and the 'unworthy' (in your eyes). After all, we have all fallen short of His glory (are unworthy) and yet He has bestowed such a gift, such love, and such grace upon us. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe "agape" love is like mercy, it is given to someone who doesn't deserve it?.....dll

Chels said...

I would agree :) But I would say mercy is an example of agape love, not that that is the only kind of agape love.