The blog title is a line that, at least in my social circles, we are quick to give out to children but not so hasty in listening to ourselves. In fact, the line was spoken in my Sunday School class this very morning. This all comes to mind because the person who was helping me with Sunday School (who of course will go nameless) seems to be in a bit of a rut themselves. I say this because after church we went to lunch and said person unloaded the burden they've been carrying--much of which is a lack of patience and trusting God's timing. And this person is not the only example I have to offer. I've had one friend frequently vent to me as a result of impatience on finding a wife. I've been impatient in planning trips, with roommates, and with knowing where I will be employed in the fall. One might say impatience is something that we're far too good at. Today's lesson tied in perfectly with patience, and not by my choosing, I was just following curriculum. We read Joshua 6 about Joshua and the battle of Jericho. God tells the priests to march around the wall blowing trumpets for 6 days. They got up early (tired?), they marched long hours (feet hurt?) and they blew trumpets in battle (where are the weapons--wouldn't that be faster?). All those things in parentheses are thoughts they may have considered, or maybe we would have had we been in their shoes. Maybe at some point it crossed their mind, 'why can't God do this in 5 days instead of 7 if He's such a great God?' or 'will this ever actually happen? We look dumb.' Sound like familiar thoughts? But, alas, God pulled through and the wall of Jericho came tumbling down. Who knows what would have happened if they'd grown impatient and shouted too early or given up altogether. God knows what He is doing. Hindsight is 20/20 for a reason, but we can't have perfect vision until we get to the 'ah ha' moments and look back. So I urge you, I encourage you for your own good that whatever situation you are in, you wait and be patient. He is the all-knowing, He's got reasons. Trust Him.
I got so befuzzled after talking with the person at lunch that when I went to chill out at the coffee shop, I picked up my coffee and walked off without paying. This was CuppaCoffee so the guy recognizes me and I remembered before I went too far, but clearly I was distracted by the burdened friend.
Most of the Sunday was cleaning and lazy other than that, nothing too eventful to speak of. When I got off the bus early this morning at the stop for church, I realized I'd been on the same bus with the sweet Finnish lady Tuula that I've spoken of before. Apparently she comes up to church every week before service and just prays for the service before anyone arrives. I thought that was neat and dedicated. She said she hasn't publicized it because she says the Holy Spirit will send the right people. What a faith. Strong women of the faith really encourage me.
So, grasshopper, what did we learn today? _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ is a virtue. Be virtuous.
1 comment:
well put oh virtuous one...dll
Post a Comment