Some things were born/created lucky. These select number of things make me happy just by being there and being them. They don't have to try or put forth effort, sometimes their presence alone excites me. Say hello to one lucky member on this list:
That's right, merry-go-rounds are a no-effort-happy-maker (NEHM, for short). This one that I found at the base of the big Taipa hill was the first I've ever seen with a middle by which you can spin yourself. Perhaps a better term for it then would be a tilt-a-whirl? I'm not sure, and I didn't ask it it's name today, I just got on and spun...and giggled. Passers by looked at me strangely (what's new). I did not break it.
This all happened as part of the hike that commenced after church this morning. The weather was BEAUTIFUL (can I emphasize that anymore?) and being inside for one moment longer would have probably been a sin today (kidding, of course). I hiked to what I believe was the top of the hill this time in pursuit of this weird shaped building/tower thing that I've seen from afar these past 7 months. I needed to find out what this spaceship like thing was. The trails are marked in Portuguese and Cantonese, thus I couldn't read any signs that said 'spaceship like building thisaway' or 'Chel, turn here.' No, instead I was left to my own compass and the somewhat obvious path that led in the right direction. I wasn't sure if this building was one of those 'all access' types of buildings or something the government hid away in a hill to tease foreigners and hold big bbqs. When I climbed my first billion stairs (slight exaggeration), I realized I was now taking stairs downward. Something about needing to be at a high point and stairs proceeding toward sea level don't add up to success. But, oh no, that was just one of those lovely hill crevices that exists merely so that your calves don't feel like they've been put on your body for nothing (mine don't, by the way). So downward I descended, upward I went again (this happened multiple times) until the spaceship deemed building was in sight. At this point I felt the need to take a picture in case there was no public path I could access and for my calves' self-confidence concerning all the effort they'd put forth this far.
But, alas! Down a heap more steps and spinning to a left at a Portuguese sign, I took this puppy:
Ooooh. Apparently it's an observatory...or at least the Portuguese "observatorio" makes me think so.
I headed to Lord Stowe's again today in Coloanne Village, but this time I had a plan. I decided to go around 3pm so that I would miss the lunch rush and beat the dinner rush...right? Wrong! It was an hour before I was seated and had my food, but I didn't mind so much because I was working on a book a girl from church lent me today and I was waiting outside in that beautiful weather. The book is called What's So Amazing About Grace?. I can only speak for the pages I've read, but he makes some good points in the passages she recommended to me. Here was dinner when it arrived:
Quiche Lorraine, salad and homemade lemonade. It was the first time I'd ever had quiche and at 4pm it was delicious. :)
And wrapping up (and back to this morning), I met 2 pharmacy school students doing a month rotation here from Samford University. They're almost done, but hopefully we'll get a chance to go to Zhuhai together next Sunday. One of the girls is from Alabama, and she treated us to the first rich southern twang I've heard in a while...gotta head south for that.
My pastor was talking about unity in the church today and he was listing examples of lack of unity. One was about the Church of the Holy Sepulchre being split up into 7 territories, and 11 monks getting injured in a fight over their religious group's part of the roof. The next story involved Kentucky. Apparently my pastor is originally from Kentucky and his grandfather was the pastor of a church. Something happened which I missed (and he didn't provide much detail on) where they wanted the grandfather to step down and the son to step in...something else happened and then it came down to someone bringing out a shotgun. Needless to say his family moved to Arkansas. Real classy, Kentucky. Pastor Steve gave me a shout out in the audience and said we were almost kinfolk. haha.
Enjoy your Sundays! I hope your alls are at least half as awesome as mine. What a treat.
No comments:
Post a Comment