Today's entry will be short as it's 1:30am. Today I ate canteen food, did language exchange with Cora and Poppy, taught IEBF on body language and intonation, and read a horrible article about men in China beating their wives if they find out their not virgins after they marry them.
Interesting tidbits:
-The best part about canteen food was this egg, pork, and tomato dish that I had last week. Wait, why am I getting excited about cafeteria food? This one dish reminds me of a better version of spaghettio flavoring.
-Somehow Cora got on topic of marriage, kids' names, and taking a husband's last name today. She was asking me questions like do I want to get married? Would I take my husband's name? What name do I want to name my daughter? It was a good opportunity to explain how naming works differently in American culture--for example, it would be offensive to name someone after a relative in Chinese culture since the uniqueness of a person's name is considered very important. As far as the last names part goes, I was able to incorporate a lesson about how there has been a generational shift where less women are taking there husband's name because of already having an established professional name. I told her I had no idea on the names for kiddos, but gave her the example from when I was in elementary school. Anyone who knew me then probably knew I was 'in love' with Brian Swan for like 2nd-5th grade....so much so I made a clay 'swan' (that turned out looking like an ugly duckling) in our art class. [It was that failed art creation that made it clear to me our love would never succeed...haha, kidding]. Anyways, I tell you that because I'd decided in elementary school that my daughter's name would be Sarah Susan Swan--because 3 'S' names was somehow exciting and wonderful and all things good. Let's just say I'm glad I got over Mr. Swan in high school and never had the opportunity to name my child that.
Poppy showed me a new app on her iPad where you play pictionary with complete strangers (essentially). I think it was called DrawSomething. It was neat to watch it live, and I was able to teach her about the American food pyramid because of it. Who knows who she was playing with on the other side of the world. ..and I can't remember what I taught her at this hour of the morning, sorry.
IEBF covered body language and intonation. Communication is 93% non-verbal, FYI. We practiced examples of how stressing words can change meaning. Read the following example with stress on the word in caps and see if you understand how it conveys a different message. I've put the implied meaning in parentheses next to it.
Example:
I did not say she beat her husband. (I didn't say it, someone else might have)
I did NOT say she beat her husband. (I never said that!)
I did not say SHE beat her husband. (I didn't say it was her...maybe it was someone else)
I did not say she beat HER husband. (I didn't say she beat her husband, maybe she beat someone elses husband)
Anyways, language has power--use it wisely. Sleep has power too, and I'm going to go get some so I'll be able to have power to teach more language tomorrow.
Over and out.
1 comment:
i did say I LOVE you.....dll
Post a Comment